The Home Office Government department
- Devised and implemented public relations strategy to support a public information project to address stigma and misunderstanding in relation to immigration to the UK. Developed "Employing Migrant Workers" Toolkit providing information and resources for employers employing non-UK nationals; including partnership broking, project management, drafting of original content and supporting communications and press relations. 2004-ongoing
Creative and Cultural Skills Sector Skills Council for the creative and cultural industries
- Various consultancy projects: Devised and submitted business case twhich successfully secured multi-millon Arts Council grant for Cultural Leadership project; developed and implemented multi-strand stakeholder consultation programme for the new 14-19 Creative and Media Diploma; drafting 'think piece' about the potential for the introduction of Skills Passports in the sector. 2006-ongoing
The Forster Company a leading public interest and issues communications consultancy
- Directed 'Working Minds' employer element of £1m mental health anti-discrimination and awareness promotion campaign for DoH. Strategy, partnership broking, campaign building, development of promotional material, media relations, developed 'Working Minds' Toolkit.
- Directed local drugs information campaign - 'Talking Drugs' - targeting excluded young people in Brighton. Strategy development, market research including young people focus groups, gaining sponsorship, campaign and material development, media interviews.
- Internal communications project at Tilda: focus groups, business advice, advised staff representative group on relaunch.
Bowles Outdoor Centre an educational charity providing training and development services to schools and companies utilising its unique outdoor facilities in stunning natural setting
- Developed first public relations and communications strategy
- Ongoing media relations
- Business development and partnership building
Retained consultant 2003
Trustee 2004 onwards
Swiftwork Ltd a specialist work-life balance consultancy offering organisations consultancy services on all aspects of flexible working and work-life balance
- Work-life balance projects for Emap Advertising, Cloisters (barristers chambers), the British Council (including overseas workshops in Malawi, Denmark, Dubai and Poland), Braintree District Council, National Peak Park Authority, Scottish Legal Aid Board. For Project Nomad, an ODPM initiative to promote mobile working in Local Authorities, I was primary author of this Human Resources Toolkit.
- Projects have involved building the business case; cost benefit analysis; reviewing management style and culture, staff awareness raising and development; tailored communications programmes; work systems and job design; policy development; manager coaching; change management; generating pilot schemes; creating success criteria and evaluation systems.
- Currently working on a project with Balfour Beatty to increaswe flexibility in the construction industry.
- UK and overseas workshops
Ongoing associate relationship
- Business issues consultant to Internal Communications Review. The Council wanted to introduce a new e-mail system and Intranet for staff and councillors. This involved chairing a staff user group to develop site structure and content and working with the technical advisors to ensure user friendly Intranet design.
Gnash Communications a leading Internet & e-commerce communications consultancy in its heyday
- Human Resourcing consultancy and recruitment; advice on staff training, appraisal and development programme
The Work Foundation world of work campaigning & policy making organisation
- Course development for Diploma in Internal Communications Management
Water UK representative body of the UK water industry
- Directed communication campaign to influence outcome of 5 yearly prices review by Ofwat; gained third party endorsement of environmental arguments; gained maximum media coverage for campaign; worked towards long term positive view of water industry.
- Developed cost neutral, ground-breaking partnership with Environment Agency; directed joint project team; created communication strategy; gained sponsorship and Ministerial endorsement.
- Conducted staff PR development needs analysis
- Analysed organisational, departmental and individual training and development needs; reviewed ‘Peak Performance’ 1999 communication training programme course outcomes, impact and value
- Developed new 'Shandwick Academy 2000' international staff development programme
- Occasional skills training on an ongoing basis
- Reviewed communication, development and support needs of nationwide network of cancer information post holders: devised project strategy, objectives and plan; developed review methodology including questionnaire; undertook primary and secondary research including subject interviews; analysed data; formulated recommendations, drafted and presented report.
- Key participant in small cross-organisational change management team, delivering change, influencing attitudes, developing new policies and integrating staff: statutory changes in the Commissioners' constitution heralded mergers and transfers of functions.
- Senior member of Church House international media team for funeral of Princess of Wales.
- Formulated and directed communications and Parliamentary lobbying campaign for the successful acceptance of the clergy Pensions Measure by Parliament: a ground-breaking Measure fundamentally affecting the Commissioners' capital assets in which Parliament has a statutory interest.
- Directed the Commissioners' participation in major marketing exercise when the MetroCentre - then the largest covered shopping centre in Europe - was sold for a record £325m: multiple interests required sensitive planning and execution of marketing and communications campaign.
- Established and led in-house Communications team: communications strategy and action was developed to address prevailing criticisms of Commissioners’ investment management, to facilitate improved relationships with key constituencies over the long term.
- Directed review of corporate governance and responsibility: constitutional change coupled with developments in business regulatory environment called for review: included disclosure, environment, ethical investment, staff policies, accounting standards, prompt payment etc.
... people centred : business focused ...